Thursday, August 14, 2008

In the lap of luxury at Del Mar

Okay, so I wasn't in anyone's lap, but I sure felt luxurious. Last Wednesday, my good friend K asked M and I if we would like to join her at the Del Mar racetrack. She had been given tickets for a luxury suite - food and drinks were all included. I asked my awesome boss, and being the great guy he is, he let me go for the afternoon. Thanks!!!!

I wasn't sure what it was going to be like, hobnobbing amongst the rich and famous. Was everyone going to be snooty and hoity toity? The dress code was enforced...dresses (or nice pantsuits) for women, and jackets and ties for men. Boy did Mike clean up nice! He brought his friend A along to keep him company. K and I of course looked fabulous in our sundresses, and I wore my races hat. Seriously, I paid $30 something for that hat...I SO have to wear it more than once! So, we headed up the elevator to the elite area. It was so chill...hardly anyone was at the track on a Wednesday afternoon...no crowds to deal with. We found our suite, and lo and behold - we were the only ones there! We had the place to ourselves. We had an indoor lounge full of food and drinks, and our own private betting machine! Outside on our patio, we had a bird's eye view of the track, and a TV monitor to watch the races and the horses. Eventually a couple more guys showed up, but that was it. We had so much fun! We went downstairs to the track to watch a couple races, but eventually retreated back up to our luxurious loft. What an experience! I have now experienced the cheapest way to go to the races as well as the most expensive...which STILL didn't cost me anything! (Thanks, K!)

Note: I did only win one race that day...a whopping $5.60, but hey. That's not really the fun part anyway...I just like to hang out and enjoy the scene! :)

0 comments: